Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Off to Paris...

Erin and I woke up at 5:00 AM to get our selves ready for Parieee! We wanted to leave at 5:30, to get to the train station by 5:45 AM, so we could make our 6:30 AM train, but the rest of the group said 5:30 AM was too early, so we collaborated and agreed to leave sometime in between 5:45 AM. That being said we didn’t leave until after 6:00. Erin, Tim and I waited in our rooms for 10 minutes then in the lobby for another 15, and when half the group ran upstairs after realizing they needed their confirmation numbers in order to get their tickets, we gave up and left for St. Pancras train station without them. After Erin, Tim and I arrived at the station we saw on the departure screen that our trains check in was closing! I, being the over-organized person that I am, had already printed off my tickets at work, two days in advance, so I was not concerned, the rest of the group on the other hand, did not have their tickets yet, and was not at the train station yet. I called them immediately and told them to run. After everyone had their tickets we all ran to the check-in. I was the last in line of our group to get my ticket scanned. I watched as each of my friends effortlessly inserted their ticket into the slot and moved right through the security gate. When it was finally my turn to scan my ticket I held my bar code up to the scanner, and of course it did not work. I called over help, and they were extremely rude and made me go print off another ticket at the ticket office, even though literally moments ago I had just talked to the ticket office and they said my printed ticket was fine. I ran back to the ticket office and spoke to the woman I had just spoken with moments ago about my printed ticket; she looked at me sympathetically while typing some things on her key board. She looked back at me and then said “I’m sorry, check in for that train is now closed.” Of course, the one person, anal enough to print their ticket off beforehand and ready 30 minutes before we actually left Nido, misses the train. Literally the check-in had closed seconds before I had held my ticket up to the scanner. Livid does not describe the feeling of anger I was feeling. Fortunately there was a train 20 minutes later headed to Paris. I called Erin and we figured out a way to meet at the Paris train station when I arrived. My fury subsided in my Chunnel ride, so by the time I got to Paris I was in good spirits, hell we were in PARIS!

We headed straight to our hotel as soon as I arrived. We checked in and left our bags in the lobby. Next we headed to the Louvre area for lunch at a small cafe. We ate and then headed to the Louvre. It was breathtaking and absolutely amazing that I was about to see the Mona Lisa! After making our way through the Louvre, we headed down Champs-Elysees, towards the Arc de Triomphe. We met Emilee’s friend Matt Summers on the way and then headed back to the hotel. Our hotel rooms were very nice and definitely improved our experience in Paris. The boys split the cost with Emilee and Caroline and stayed and stored their bags in their room for the night. We all showered and got ready and headed to the grocery store for wine and cheese. After eating triple our weight in Brie cheese, toasted baguettes, and white wine, Erin, Tim, Haley and I decided we HAD to see the Eiffel Tower at night. We headed straight to the Eiffel Tower and decided to meet the rest of the group at a cafe later. The Eiffel Tower was amazing to see in person...especially at night. It “twinkles” once a day and luckily we were there when it started to “twinkle.” It was beautiful. We took lots of pictures and videos. We then met a very drunk Emilee, Caroline, Christopher and Matt at a cafe and then headed to one of Matt’s friends flats. The flat was tucked away back in an alley. It was at the top of a dark twirling staircase that looked very sketchy, but once we got up to the flat and inside, it was awesome. It was exactly how you would imagine a French flat. We drank some more wine and talked about college with Matt’s friend and his friends. It was very fun, truly a French experience. Erin, Tim, Haley and I agreed we were exhausted after our eventful day and headed back to the hotel.

The next morning we woke up and headed back to the Eiffel Tower for pictures during the day. We weren’t able to go up in the tower due to time restraints and the astronomical line, besides food was our next priority after seeing the Eiffel Tower. We found a restaurant near the Metro station and took a table outside. Not long after we sat down we were talking and laughing about something when I glanced up and saw a lady yelling in our direction. I looked behind me to see what or who she was yelling so furiously at, and then realized she was looking at us! She walked straight up to our table and literally screamed at us for a good minute in French. We were all looking around at each other for some kind of explanation, but no one had one of course. She finally started to walk away (still yelling) and we all just started laughing. Our first encounter with our first rude French person! She must have REALLY hated Americans, because guessing from the tone of her voice; she was not saying “Welcome to France, can I get you a baguette or crepe?” After our encounter with the yelling lady, we ate our food (which was amazing), and then headed straight to the Notre Dame area. Once we walked around in the streets for a while, looking at the outdoor markets and stands, we headed over towards Notre Dame. It was amazing to see, but once again the lines were huge, so we took some pictures and then headed back to the train station for our departing Eurostar train, this time allowing ourselves PLENTY of time to catch our train, getting stuck in France was not how I wanted to end my trip. When we got back to the hotel to pick up our bags the very friendly front desk lady was not friendly anymore. When I asked for a plastic bag she shortly said “non”, and when I asked where the best place to catch a taxi she said “is it true that zese boiz stayed wis you last a night?” I, having nothing to do with the boys staying the night immediately replied a nervous “ummm no”, but Caroline soon came to the rescue with “We had two rooms, but the boys did not stay here.” I basically then sprinted out the door with my bags and we were on our way, laughing the whole way to the train station. I’d say our trip was a success with the witnessing of two pissed off French people.

Regardless of the rude French, I have decided I definitely need to go back when I am older and I have more time and money. It was hard to get the whole experience on a budget and only staying for a day in half, so I will definitely be returning to France sometime in my life. It was a perfect end to our time overseas. I can’t believe it was our last weekend. Now all I have to do is make it through the work week, which won’t be bad at all, considering I am seeing “Chicago” on Tonight, we have a farewell dinner on Wednesday at “The Big Chill” and we are seeing “Romeo & Juliette” at The Globe Theater on Thursday. I can’t wait to be back in the States, only 4 more days !!

No comments:

Post a Comment