Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tea Etiquette 101


In the UK there are VERY specific rules and regulations to making a good cup tea. Not only does it make the tea taste better, it is proper tea-making etiquette. If one is going to the kitchen to make themselves a cup of tea or coffee, it is impolite to come back with a cup for yourself without asking everyone else if they would like one for themselves. So once you have finished taking everyone’s drink order, you go make however many are requested. Unlike American’s the British bring the tea water to a boil before making each cup of tea. I know what you’re thinking, ‘on a stove?!?’ And the answer is no. No my friends, they have an electric kettle that boils water in seconds. The first step of the ‘tea ritual’ is to fill the kettle with water and turn it on so the water boils. Once the kettle dings, the water has reached a boil and now it is time to make a good ol’ fashion cup of English tea. Some British like just milk, some like milk and sugar, but no one, I mean no one likes no milk in their tea. The next step is to find tea cups in the cupboard, put a tea bag in the bottom of the cup and then pour the boiling water over each tea bag. The next step is the trickiest one. With a spoon, you take each tea bag and press it against the side of the cup to infuse the water with all of the teas herbs and spices. After the water has reached a deep brown color, you splash a dash of milk in each glass until the water is a ‘tanish’, orange color. Then you let the tea sit for another 30 seconds to a minute and then you remove the tea bag. If the person has requested sugar you then spoon a couple spoonfuls, give each cup one last stir, and then serve. Easy enough right...wrong. The first time I made a cup of English tea, James literally spit it out, since, I have learned what I thought all the appropriate etiquette, but this morning I learned differently.
Baby shares a kitchen with another small agency who works in the office next to us. The offices are divided by a wall that spans about ¾ length of the room and at the end there is a small meeting room that we share. Baby and this small agency have a fairly good relationship, other than the fact that they have this ridiculous fart machine that goes off every hour or so, and they tend to play music too loud, which pisses Laurence off sometimes, but other than that, we get along and it’s all a good time. Robin (Steve’s graphic designer son) runs his own business RedSofa out of Baby’s office and his co-partner (also Steve) works in the office next door, so we are always talking and having a good time...BUT...this morning the fun was ruined with my supposedly impolite tea etiquette. I was walking to the kitchen to grab myself another cup of instant coffee (they don’t brew coffee, there is only instant) and I had just asked Vicki and Paul (our new creative team) if they would like any. They said no, and so I went on my way, positive that I had covered all the appropriate tea etiquette. I walked to the kitchen; saw that the kettle had already been filled and half-way used, but was still hot, so I dished myself a spoonful of instant coffee beans, poured the kettle water into my cup and then walked back to my desk. On my way back I noticed Steve (Robin’s co-partner, from next door) watching me walk back to my desk, but I just figured he was talking to someone else in their office, and had glanced up, so I said a cheery “Good Morning!” and walked straight to my desk. As soon as I sat down, I noticed hysterical laughter coming from the other office, but thought nothing of it, as this happens a lot next door. The next thing I knew, Steve was around the corner of the dividing wall saying “You nicked our water!” I turned around in my chair to surprisingly see that he was talking to me. I replied “What does that mean?” He then said “We boiled the kettle water and you knicked it, you stole it. I said something to you as you walked by, but you were just on cloud nine.” Laughing I asked “is that bad?” He replied “well yes!” I then said “I’m sorry! I didn’t know it was inappropriate to ‘steal’ someone else’s kettle water.” Laughing he walked away with what I think was a roll of the eyes. I definitely didn’t know this rule of tea making etiquette, especially because there is left over water in the kettle all the time! Well, you learn something new everyday. Now I know, the British only share their tea water with co-workers, friends and family...NOT business neighbours. Vicki and Paul were laughing the whole time. Then Vicki said ‘We have some weird rules here in this country.’

No comments:

Post a Comment